Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book Review--Joe by H.D. Gordon

Joe


First the cover:

Outstanding!  This cover rocks--I love the eyes.  So wide and haunted.  Perfect, especially after reading this book.

The blurb

From the author of the Alexa Montgomery Saga, comes a book that will take you into the mind of a geniune pyschopath, the lives of six ordinary people, and the world of a very special girl named Joe.

Joe is seemingly an ordinary college student. She works, studies and reads. But in between these activities Joe has a gift that promises to add a dose of color to her life at any given moment. Joe sees things before they happen. Bad things, and the worst thing she has ever faced is just around the corner. Someone is planning a massacre at the college university that Joe attends, and the only person with a hope of stopping the pyschopath is her.

Oh, the beauty of foresight. More like a curse. Joe has four days to figure out the mystery, make plans to take down the pyscho, and save the lives of people. People like you and me. Ordinary people.


My review:

I struggled to review Joe by H.D. Gordon for a few reasons, but the main is this is not my normal read.

I go for rainbows and sunshine, which this book had very little of. I'm a huge fan of H.D. Gordon and I still am. Although I did not like much of this book, I felt emotion throughout the whole thing. When I say I didn't like it, what I'm saying is I don't like to know the inner workings of a psycopath. I did not like being in his head. He was one major mess job, and that is the beauty of this book. Ms. Gordon has once again created characters that feel real.

She has infused this story with tension and flat out horror if you ask me. I felt many things while reading Joe...sick to my stomach first thing...sorry for Joe...sorry for other characters...frustration for some of them...anxiety for all of them up until the end.

I pretty much figured out what was going to happen before it did, but that didn't matter because it played out like a nightmare almost. Especially the climax where Joe has to face the Decider. That scene is written so well that it makes me gasp to think about it.

Great job, Ms. Gordon...now I want more of Alexa Montgomery. LOL. She is more to my taste, but this was a book I will remember for a very long time.  If you like thrillers that give you chills, this is your book.

I do want to leave a warning here, though, this is not a book for children. 18+ in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment