Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Review--A Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King

Penelope King has fast become one of my favorite writers.  Her stories are filled with emotion that is easily relatable and so are her characters.  I had the oportunity to read this book for review, but that in no way alters my view of the book.  I'm not usually one for Demons, but I had heard such good things about this book that I finally gave it a try and I am glad I did.


Here is the blurb:

Some girls share clothes, a bathroom, or a bedroom. Seventeen-year-old Liora Greyson has to share, too. Only she shares her body--with a demon.

Liora just wants to survive her final year of high school unscathed, her dark secret intact. But the walls she’s carefully constructed to keep people away crack wide open once she meets the sexy and mysterious Kieron, and he lights her world on fire. She can’t let him know she transforms into a demon named "Lucky" at nightfall—a demon with an entirely separate personality who passes out Torment, Justice, and Revenge like Halloween candy.

Turns out Kieron is the one who should be afraid once Lucky discovers his true identity and motivations. Liora wants to love him, but Lucky thinks he’s public enemy number one. And having a demon with a vendetta show up during a romantic date puts a serious crimp in any relationship.

Fighting your demons is one thing. Having one that fights back, messes with your guy, and leaves you with nasty hangovers is quite another.

Being bad has never been so good...


My review:

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The concept of Liora/Lucky as the MC was interesting. Even though we see the plot unfold through two distinct points of view, the connection between the alter-ego's is not missed. I found the idea of a split soul fascinating, and I look forward to seeing how Ms. King resolves this conflict. I liked Liora, but I loved Lucky. She was spunky yet Liora still had an effect on her that seemed to be positive. Liora on the other hand didn't seem too interested in letting Lucky influence her.

The plot was believable as much as angels and demons can be and felt real to the age of the characters. When Liora meets Kieron for the first time, sparks fly.  I loved the connection between the two, but I equally loved the easy banter between Lucky and Bones.  I'm not sure where I want the story to go at this point, but I'm sure I won't see it coming from a mile away.  That is one of the things I love about Ms. King's writing.  She mixes in plot twists that throw you for a loop.  I love that in a book, so it is not surprise that I enjoyed this book.  This is the second book I have read by Penelope King, and I loved them both.  I look forward to Fire with Fire.

My Rating

Great Book!


2 comments:

  1. Sharing your body with a demon..kinky! LOL This sounds like a fresh take on demons. I love a tale with lots of twists. I haven't had the privilege to read this author's work..but your rave review and opinion of the author have me adding this one to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad, kimbacaffinate! I just love her books, and the second in this series, Fire with Fire, blew me away. Completely original as far as I know. Thanks for commenting, and I hope you come back for the Fire with Fire review!

    ReplyDelete