Friday, June 22, 2012

Booya Book Review--Crux by Julie Reece

Have I got a treat for you today!!! I was lucky enough to read Crux as part of an ARC event and I couldn't be more pleased that I did.  Keep reading to find out why I am so stoked about this book and this amazing new author.


The cover is eye-catching with Birdie's flowing locks.  She's pretty, right, but can you see the sadness in her eyes?  What is that necklace about anyway, and why is it glowing?  Who is the stranger in the background, friend or foe?  Well these are some of the questions I had when I first saw this cover, which was what pulled me into the book...but what lies between is nothing short of a different world that sucked me in.

The blurb:

Eighteen year old Birdie may be homeless, but she’s surviving, that is until a mysterious guy throws money in the air like a crazy game show host, and she grabs some with the idea she’ll be able to buy dinner that night.

In that singular moment, unassuming Birdie becomes the girl in everyone’s viewfinder. Thugs want to kill her. Money-guy wants to recruit her. The very hot, very rich, and very out of her league Grey Mathews wants to save her.

Birdie, though, wants nothing to do with any of them, until she realizes fate didn’t bring them all together.

Her heritage did.

Now, with only twenty-one days left, she’s got to decide whether to follow in the footsteps of those before her or risk her life for people she’s only just met.

My review:

I'm still in bliss from reading Crux by Julie Reece. I have to say that Ms. Reece has to be one of the most talented authors on the planet. I know I'm gushing right now, but I loved this book that much.

Reading Birdie's story was like catching up with an old friend. Birdie rocks my socks, and Grey (the male lead) is sizzling hot. I loved his fierce loyalty to Birdie, especially because she was so real with insecurities most women have and some that broke my heart.

Birdie thought her life was hard before she met Jeff, this weird guy that gives her and a bunch of other random people money on a whim...or so it seems. But Birdie doesn't know that she is part of a cycle that's been going on for ages. She gets caught up into a world of magic and mayhem and she is one great heroine! I loved her snark, her ability to roll with her ever changing landscape, and to just allow herself to feel when most people would be closed off by the things this girl had to go and already went through.

This is one of those magical reads that takes you out of your world and plunks you right next to Birdie, Grey, Kate, and Scud along with a mongrel named Fenris. I loved the characters, and I loved this world where superheroes can come to life to save the day.

One heck of a read, Ms. Reece. I am honored to have been able to read the ARC of Crux, and I can't wait to read more from this amazing author! She really is one to watch.

If you couldn't already guess, Five Stars from me, but this one is really more like fireworks.  It was that good for me.  So when can you get in on the ride of a lifetime?  July 9th, so mark your calendars.  Now, off to eat some chocolate.


Crux's goodread page: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13265572-crux


4 comments:

  1. Heyyyy Christie!!!! I so had to choose you for this!
    Congrats!!!! you've won the Liebster blog Award! go to http://bajanrosabooks.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html to see what it is about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christie,

    Thank you so much for your kind words.

    I wanted to say congrats on your blog award, too. It's a great site and the award certainly describes you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Rosa! You are so sweet. I am honored! Thanks for nominating me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie!

    Thanks for stopping by, and you are welcome! You deserve each kind word. :0D

    ReplyDelete