Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Book Review--Meeting Destiny by Nancy Straight

 

Isn't this cover beautiful?  I love the romantic flair with the flowers and the snippets of red draws the eye.

So onto the blurb:

Lauren is visited in her dreams for years by a stranger claiming to be her destiny. Destiny becomes reality when paths cross during a failed robbery attempt. Lauren and the stranger experience chemistry like no other and now her doubt over her long time relationship with her high school sweetheart is not her only secret…someone else knows about her keen intuition and sixth sense.A mysterious clairvoyant seeks Lauren out and tells her not only of her life now but what the future may hold. Soon Lauren is in the middle of a murder investigation and a questionable friendship with the key suspect. Law enforcement, friends and family are concerned for Lauren but unfortunately they are unaware of the true danger…Sinister forces are at work and will stop at nothing to destroy Lauren’s abilities.
 
 My Review:
 
I've had Meeting Destiny on my to read shelf for a while now. I finally snagged a copy of the book, and I have to say I enjoyed this very much.  The best thing is that Ms. Straight offers this free to readers at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  I haven't checked Smashwords, but it might be there too.
 
Here's the B&N link: 
 

The funny thing is that until about 40% through the book, I kept thinking "Where is the paranormal?" It just seemed more like a contemporary romance where Lauren and Max have to overcome obstacles to be together.  There had been bursts of paranormal elements throughout, but they didn't come together until Lauren meets Rewsna who tells her more about her powers, but not enough to really be helpful. LOL.

I found myself wondering where the story was going, yet it didn't solidify in directions I saw coming most of the time, which is quite refreshing.  The premise of the Destiny series is compelling, and I want to know more about Lauren and her powers. How will things work out with Max?  The idea that we agree, before we are born, to have certain people in our life who fulfil predetermined roles is quite unique in my reading experience. Really great read that felt almost natural considering the subject matter.

Nancy Straight is a talented author, and I happen to love cliff-hanger endings, so this one was right up my alley. :)

Luckily the next in the series is already available.  I will be reading Destiny's Revenge (Destiny #2) very soon:
Destiny's Revenge (Destiny, #2)

Even though I would have liked to have seen more paranormal througout the book, I have a feeling we will get a healthy dose in the upcoming books.  My Rating:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment